Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fine, you put it on your iPod, you can call it a podcast


Sunday, I went to the last Who Do You Love panel at DCAC (scrollldown), hosted by Ian Jehle. Installation and site-specific artists Mary Coble, Jamye McLellan, and Ira Tattelman discuss their influences and:

"Who's your great grand daddy?" - artistic lineage: personal and public
"Within these hallowed halls" - public museums as the apex of the art venue pyramid
"Raphael is my copilot" - technique, refinement and presentation vis-a-vis the Old Masters "The boys and girls of spring" - the influence of major collectors
"What's not to love" - gaps in the DC artistic paean
"And now ..." - where does individual practice and our local art scene intersect the contemporary art world?

If you couldn't make it through the snow to see the talk, I recorded it and posted it here. It's worth it at least to hear a non-phallic critique of the Washington Monument. It's true, Jayme, obelisks are just strange architecture in this city!

Posting will be light this week as I get my bearings with my new job at the Phillips Collection. (This means I'm half done with my blog, right?) The Lender's Circle opening dinner for Degas, Sickert, and Toulouse Lautrec was haught to the max, with lavish burnt orange trim, tulips, and roses for bank and exhibition patron ING. Jacquelyn D. Serwer left in a quick huff after dinner and a high level DC official lamented her child setting off alarms and Secret Service at her neighbor's house with . . . a snowball.

Did i mention I love this city, and love not paying its taxes?

1 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

congrats on the job!
not a bad place to start...

and great to see you this weekend!

9:43 PM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home